Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Year's Resolutions

New Year's resolutions.  We all have them.  Usually, they involve being healthier, changing our diets, saving money - all admirable ways to improve our lives for no real reason except that the Earth completed another revolution around the Sun.  I think they're fun.  Once, I was sitting around contemplating the saying "worth its weight in gold."  I wondered aloud if I was worth my weight in gold.  Then I wondered if I was worth my weight in anything.  Was I worth my weight in beer?  Naturally, that progressed to "can I drink my weight in beer?" and boom!  New Years resolution - 2008.  A pint of beer weighs about a pound; I weighed 180 pounds; I just needed to drink 180 beers in the year (and keep an accurate count) and I would successfully achieve my resolution.  I hit number 180 in the middle of October.  Good times.  This was a long way to say that I enjoy this fun tradition.

Now, where am I heading with this?  What will I eat or drink 180 of this year??

Another thing I like = giving away money to charities that I respect.  I rarely feel better than when I've swiped my credit card or mailed in a check to a charity that is in a better position to make a difference than I am.  Combining my love for New Year's resolutions and giving away money led me to my resolution for 2014 - give away more money, encourage others to give away more money, and write about it.  And because I need pretty clear instructions in order to achieve any goal, here is how I will succeed:

1) 50 bucks per week.  That's what I think I can afford, after the landlord and the taxman come for their pieces of the pie.  50 bucks per week = $2600 for 2014.  That's not that much.  It's totally doable.  Each week, I will give $50 to a different charity.  52 charities.  And in the spirit of inclusion, I'll count non-profits, nongovernmental organizations, etc. in my definition of 'charity.'

2) A few days before sending in my check, I'll choose the Charity of the Week and write about it, giving a bit of context/history of the organization and giving other folks an opportunity to decide if they might also like to support it - that week or otherwise.

3) On the weekend, I'll send the check and write another little summary piece.

So that's the plan.  Follow along; share with your friends; and if you are so inclined, maybe you, too, can commit to supporting the same 52 Charities of the Week as the year moves along.  Even 2 or 3 bucks to each charity, each week will make a difference.  And it will make you feel pretty good.  I'll choose #1 tomorrow!

Happy 2014, everyone!  I can tell that it is gonna be a good one!


3 comments:

  1. I found your blog because I had just decided to do exactly the same thing and you had the name I wanted. I look forward to seeing your choices and as soon as I come up with a good name, I'll start my own version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh. Well, great minds think alike. Definitely let me know when you get yours started and we'll bounce ideas (and support) off of each other. Deal?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete